Recently I had the opportunity to attend an exhibit at Union Station called Dialog in the Dark. It is an experience where for over an hour you are completely blind and exploring the world as it would be if you were visually impaired. The best part was the guides were all blind as well. It was an amazing experience. As I was walking in there was a phrase on the wall that said, "I would rather walk through the dark with a friend, than in the light alone" (Helen Keller). For one hour I experienced complete and total darkness and had to trust my other 4 senses and completely trust either those around me or my guide whom I had met 2 minutes prior. Taking away my sight truly taught me a lot about vision. I could visualize in my mind what I "thought" it was going to be around the corner and several times I would run into the wall, or another person. But my faithful guide would say, "come toward my voice" or "here, let me help you", "no, go this way". I completely trusted Shelly to get me where I needed to go. And one of my more frightening experiences was when we were walking in what seemed to be outside and having to cross the street. While I knew the cars would not run me over, I knew it was only pretend...I gained a vision of true fear of the unknown and still do not know if I ever did cross the street or not, I thought I was turning in circles!
Being a mom is a similar experience. We think we can see what is coming ahead, however, often times we find ourselves running into a wall, and feeling completely lost and in the dark around each corner. However, walking through motherhood does not have to be completely in the dark. We all have access to light and to vision through our Savior Jesus Christ. We do not have to walk through the world alone and we can turn to him in times of need and more than anything to give him praise for the many blessings we posess on this earth. He is there calling out to us, "hear my voice" and "let me help you" or "no, this way."
I am filled with several sights around me each and everyday. The sight of my three children, Emma age 6, Luke age 5, and Adam, age 2 and my husband of 10 1/2 years, Jeremy. The sight of seeing my daughter's eyes light up when her Daddy took her on a date this weekend, the sight of my 2 year old when his brother and sister come running out of school each day. Or the sight of our family spending time together, even if it is around a less than desirable meal at our kitchen table. Sights I pray I will not soon forget.
For my vision....I have a lot of them...the way it "should" be, the way I "want" it to be, and the way I thought it "would" be as a mother. Those ways mean absolutely nothing if it does not fall within the vision of our loving Lord; I am just a participant as I was in the exhibit this weekend. On the days when I feel as though I am walking in total darkness and not knowing what is around the corner, next week, next month, next year; I too would rather "walk in the dark with a friend, than walk in the light alone" I am thankful for my dear friends from MOPS, childhood, college, my kids school; for the support of our families, and more than anything the opportunity to walk alongside Jesus and learn each and everyday to trust Him to be my sight and my vision.
Monday, February 2, 2009
Vision vs. Sight
Posted by Rachel at 9:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment