We went to Corydon, IA (Jeremy's hometown) this weekend for the 125th Old Settler's Reunion...and after participating in probably 10 of these "events" I might venture to say that this particular one was memorable to say the least. As you can see from the video above, Adam really enjoyed the live music from Saturday night which happened to include a collection of Johnny Cash songs by the artist. Unfortunately...the funniest was toward the end of the night when "Get Rhythm" was being played and Adam nearly fell out of his chair he was dancing so dramatically. Wait, maybe it was me that nearly fell out of my chair laughing at him!
However, as with any true carnival, there is your collection of interesting characters running the "is this thing really safe" machines and we have our 6 and 5 year olds begging us to go on these rides. I had a lapse in judgement and allowed Ms. Independent go on "The Ride" with the 7 year old younger sister of my sister-in-law Malisha. While most of the rides were harmless (if you can disregard the stale human sweat smell that somehow overwhelm one's olfactory nerves), this one was fast and I did not realize how much they really were not strapped in and as Emma is going around and around, I kept thinking, she's going to slip right out of that thing...there is nothing keeping her from falling out other than a bar that she could FIT through! So, that being said, she insisted on going again, because after all...it was SOOOO FUN!! I told her the only way she could is if another adult went with her and sat with her. Well, that sparked Luke's interest, who was just shy of being tall enough, saw other, smaller kids on the ride with their parents....you know where this is going....Jeremy and I took Emma and Luke on the awful (in my opinion) Paratrooper ride. I had visions of the rusty old squeaky thing breaking and poor Adam being left with no family as the rest of his family is forever remembered in the 125th Annual event as the one where the Paratrooper Ride accident took place. Realizing that thought process was more than unproductive.....I stopped thinking through that nightmare and not wishing to completely squash Emma's joy of how much fun she was having, I managed to create a pleasant face. Perhaps I should have embraced the Johnny Cash lyrics....Get rhythm...when you get the blues...get rhythm...
But the night would not have been complete without a funny from our dear Emma...after being "old settlers" for approximately 9 hours on Saturday...we were all in desparate need of a shower...Emma proclaims, "Yeah, one of those rides was going so fast...I wet my pants! Isn't that just hysterical?" After nearly wetting my pants myself...it was confirmed...time was of no matter...shower was absolutely necessary...
Jeremy & Luke listening to music in the park
Andrew waiting for his mom (Amy) to come by with her class of '98 float...or maybe just waiting for candy

Emma at the Big Parade
And if you thought I was kidding...the Big Parade also included Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin
Destiny (Emma & Luke's cousin) on a ride...was THIS the alleged wetting the pants incident?








0 comments:
Post a Comment